Banner ads are one of the most common forms of digital advertising and communication. They are typically rectangular images that are displayed on websites, social media platforms, and in mobile apps.
History of Banner Ads
The first banner ad was created in 1994 by a company called Hotwired for ATT, which was running a campaign around future technologies.
It was displayed for several months on hotwired.com.
History says it had a click through rate of around 44%, when today it’s hard to exceed 1%.
The first clickable banner obviously also involved the creation of the first landing page dedicated to an advertising campaign.
Banner ads can be placed in a variety of locations on websites and other digital platforms.
- IAB Banners: IAB is an organization that governs advertising on websites. In order to standardize advertising and make it more accessible, they have determined formats for dissemination on websites. Here are a majority.
- Interstitial: Interstitial ads are full-screen ads that are displayed when a user clicks on a link or switches to another page. Interstitial ads can be very effective at capturing attention, but they can also be perceived as instrusive.
- Native: Native ads are designed to blend in with the surrounding content. They are often used on social media platforms and in mobile apps.
Benefits of banner ads
What explains the popularity of this format ?
- Reach: Banner ads can reach a large number of users. This is the format for which the most slots are available for purchase on the sites, which allows wide distribution.
- Targeting: Banner ads can be targeted to specific audiences based on demographics, interests, and behavior. Advertising buying tools often combine advanced targeting possibilities.
- Measurability: Banner ads can be tracked and measured, so businesses can see how effective their campaigns are.
- Cost-effectiveness: Banner ads can be a cost-effective way to reach a large audience. Given the large number of slots available for purchase, the cost is often affordable.
Banner ads are a versatile and effective form of digital advertising. They can be used to reach a large number of users, target specific audiences, and track results. If you are looking for a cost-effective way to reach your target audience, banner ads should be a consideration.
Contact us today to learn more about how we can help you create and execute a successful banner advertising campaign.